Sunday, July 19, 2015

Enjoying hot summer days and being safe


Summer has finally arrived and with the heat and humidity more people are out looking for ways to keep cool. Last Sunday my husband and I took a drive around Windham and Raymond for fun, but mostly to sit in the air conditioning.
 
Everywhere we turned there were people swimming in pools or jumping off bridges into rivers. There were cars backed up at Babb’s Bridge, on North Gorham Pond near the dam and at Shaw Park in Gorham. Both sides of the road were packed on Route 85 at Crescent Lake and I’m sure it was the same on Gambo Road and any other roads that end or cross at the river or had access to a lake. 

Little Sebago Lake was littered with boats and jet skis tooling back and forth, some with tube and others just floating along with another boat, the occupants talking.  It was a great summer day, and I wished I was at camp grilling, enjoying the sun and jumping the water to cool off whenever I wanted to. 

Watching some of the swimmers, especially at the North Gorham dam, I was concerned for their safety. I’m not sure if it’s my age, my being a parent or what, but I wanted to stop and ask them if they had checked how deep the water was. Did they make sure there was nothing under the water they couldn’t see from above, like at Gambo Dam where there is an old fence under water from the days of the gun powder mill. 

Having fun is one thing, but risking a life, is another. At the dam in North Gorham, a Windham resident electrocuted himself to death while swimming there. I believe everyone has the right to cool off on hot days, but with certain caveats, like stay away from posted areas, look before you leap, and respect the property you are using. Don’t leave trash around and don’t vandalize the area. 

I’m so happy that summer has finally arrived and the weather is perfect for recreating in water. My advice, unsolicited as it is, is to enjoy and be safe.  

No comments: