Sunday, July 19, 2015

Empty nest syndrome


It’s too early for me to have empty nest syndrome, but here I am, finding that it’s just my husband and me alone in the evenings after work. Weird. 
 
On Sunday, my husband took my son up to Camp Hinds for his first week as a CIT. My daughter is already there working on staff. She spent the last year in Presque Isle so I had gotten used to not seeing her every day. 

My son on the other hand, I was seeing every day, sharing stories with him and listening to him talk about computer gaming. (Which is like the Charlie Brown teacher, waa waa waa.) Having him at camp with no way to contact him is rough…on me. He’s having a blast. I’m trying really hard not to be a helicopter parent, one who hovers around to check on her kids, but it’s a struggle. 

My daughter has her phone and I was able to call and make contact with her to see how he’s doing. (She’s fine.) “He’s doing great,” she told me. Just that little bit of reassurance is important for a reforming helicopter parent. 

I don’t know why he wouldn’t be happy, when he’s at a camp he loves, swimming, building robots and singing crazy camp songs. He’s been going to Camp Hinds in Raymond since he was in first grade. When he entered fifth grade he started spending one week each summer there. Now going into tenth grade, he is changing his role and I couldn’t be prouder. 


Without children around to manage, I’m looking for things to do around the house…and those bedrooms look like they need some attention. Maybe I should surprise both kids and clean their rooms. What do you think? A good idea? 

I searched the Internet for information on what parents should do while their children are at summer camp. There weren’t a lot of stories about what parents should do. Most discussed how to get your child ready for camp and how to write a letter. Parent’s feelings took up a short paragraph. 

It’s been 19 years since I didn’t have someone younger than me to think about. So for all of you parents wondering what to do when your kids are away for the summer, I will compile a list of things you could do. 

1.      Go to a late movie.
2.      Take a day trip with friends or your spouse.
3.      Go out to dinner some place you wouldn’t take the kids.
4.      Drink wine or a fruity drink without the “are you sure you should be drinking that?” question. (Thanks Officer Cyr and DARE.)
5.      Attend a concert.
6.      Take an evening walk.
7.      Have a campfire, just the two of you and talk without little ears hanging on every word.
8.      Go shopping at 9 p.m. when the lines are short and no one is missing bed time.
9.      You choose the show to watch on TV.
10.  Clean the bedrooms and get rid of the clutter that they won’t miss or notice it’s gone.

No comments: